Thursday, October 8, 2009
Creating a Life to Save a Life PP6
Given what medical technology can do today that it couldn't do even 5 or 10 years ago, with regards to saving a life or improving the quality of life for a person, I would have made the same decision that these parents made to save their first born, Andres. The reality is since we now understand the extreme benefit of stem cells and their potential to reverse or completely get rid of a disease or provide the potential to have a new organ is just ground breaking science. I agree with the parent's decision because one, it is within their rights to choose to do this and two if we all could afford to do what these parents did for their oldest child, I believe that 85% of us would do the same thing. Let me also say that every day doctors provide the service of 'medical practice'. Literally, doctors practice medical services and procedures on us every time we go to see one of them. It is not concrete medical science and never will be. Considering this fact, I have reservations about how stem cell usage could eventually be used for mallicious purposes and that I would not agree to. Morally, if you are of a particular religious belief then one could have issue with stem cell usage and especially with regards to becoming pregnant specifically to make sure that your other child could live a longer life with the potential to be disease free because of the new born child that was genetically tested to make sure he/she was a donor match for the child with the disease. What if the child was not a donor match? Would the parents have aborted the child and tried again? I do not support that at all. Then I have to question, since doctors practice medicine daily, how on earth could they possibly give the parents any assurances since this area of medicine is still so new? Morally, what obligations do the doctors have to themselves about tampering with this type of science still knowing full well that there are no guarantees and all the testing could say this is what should happen but we always have room for that margin of error of what could happen? Then I have my belief that all things happen for a reason and that if the risks that were taken that led to medical history being made, since we can remember, weren't taken at all where we would be today? It's medical breakthroughs like stem cells, heart transplants, face transplants, etc. that allow us to be able to decide whether or not the risk is worth it. In this case I believe the risk was worth it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment